Seven out of ten fires across our area are caused by arson
Cleveland Fire Brigade is committed to working with the community to continue to prevent and eventually stop these nuisance fires and put a stop to arson once and for all.
To support this work we:
- educate people about the consequences and impact arson has on communities
- work closely with the Police to deter, identify and prosecute arsonists
- work with partners to make our communities tidier, safer, better places to live and work
- run targeted campaigns and initiatives e.g. Firesetter Intervention (SC link this to pg)
All incidents of arson are fully investigated with Cleveland Police. Arsonists will be caught and prosecuted – it will ruin their lives too.
If you have any information on arson or want to report an incident you can call Crimestoppers confidentially on 0800 555 111, or Cleveland Police on 101.
Aside from the financial costs, arson:
- is a crime
- can cause injury or death
- can spread quickly and cause damage to property and the environment
- damages communities
- puts firefighters lives at risk and diverts them away from real emergencies