Asbestos reporting

Since May 2004 new legislation has been in effect which requires dutyholders to report the presence of asbestos in non-domestic buildings. This is a requirement of Regulation 4 of the Control of Asbestos at Work Regulations (2006).

Who is responsible?

The dutyholder is anyone responsible for maintaining and repairing all or part of a property, or who has control of the building.

What buildings are affected?

All non-domestic buildings, whatever type of business is carried out in them. It also covers the common areas of residential rented properties, including halls, stair wells, lift shafts and roof spaces.

Further guidance and information is available from the Health and Safety Executive website, which includes the leaflet Manage buildings? You must manage asbestos. (See related links).
Asbestos reporting form

If you believe asbestos may be present on your premises, please contact your local authority’s environmental services department on one of the following numbers:

Middlesbrough Borough Council: 01642 726001
Stockton Borough Council: 01642 526575
Hartlepool Borough Council: 01429 523361
Redcar and Cleveland Borough Council: 01642 774774 (ask for environmental health)

Related links

Asbestos: Information and guidance