Help keep your allotment safe by following our top safety tips:
- Make sure tools, etc are put away out of sight – if there is a problem with theft on your site, consider taking valuable tools home with you.
- If hazardous materials such as pesticides, fertilizers and gas cylinders are stored on your plot, ensure the appropriate sign is used and visible to the emergency services.
- Security mark your property – maybe paint your postcode or name onto your property to act as a visible deterrent to thieves.
- Put up signs warning potential thieves your property is security marked and can be identified by the police.
- Don’t keep large quantities of flammable liquids (eg paint, diesel, weedkiller, etc.) or rubbish in your shed or on your plot, as these can be a target for arsonists.
- Consider planting “spikey” plants around the perimeter of your plot or site, such as pyracantha, or roses – this will discourage people from climbing over fences
- Join your local Neighbourhood Watch Scheme. You can find out about the scheme and about joining/starting one here.