Tumble dryers and washing machines contain powerful motors with fast moving parts that get very hot. If you do not clean and maintain your machine, excess fluff or lint can build up over time and catch fire.
- Always read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions before using your dryer
- Never leave your appliance unattended or running overnight
- Never overload your washing machine or dryer or put items in that have been used to soak up flammable liquids
- Keep your dryer well ventilated ensuring the vent pipe is kink free, not blocked or crushed in any way
- Clean the filter in your dryer after every use
- Have your dryer serviced regularly by a qualified engineer
- DON’T ignore the warning signs – Does your tumble dryer smell of burning? Are your clothes taking longer to dry? Do the clothes feel hotter at the end of the cycle? Does the external vent flap stay shut when the dryer is on?
If you notice any of the above, clean the filter and check the vent pipe immediately.
You can also register your appliances so you will be the first to know of any safety repairs or recalls. www.registermyappliance.org.uk