Follow our simple bedtime routine safety tips to help keep you and your family safe
1. Switch off and unplug electrical equipment – only leave on appliances that are designed to be left on, like the fridge or your DVD recorder.
2. Check your cooker – make sure the grill, hobs and oven are all turned off.
3. Don’t leave the washing machine, tumble dryer or dishwasher on. Their high speed of operation, friction and motors mean they can be a fire risk.
4. Turn heaters off and put a guard in front of an open fire.
5. Check candles are out – they can go on smouldering and start a fire. Double check they are out and never leave one burning when you go to sleep. View candle safety advice here.
6. Put cigarettes right out – make sure cigarettes and pipes are out, wetting them to be sure. Never smoke in bed. View smoking safety advice here.
7. Check your escape route – it should be clear of obstacles. Make sure the keys are where they are meant to be. View escape route advice here.
8. Close all doors – this can slow down the spread of a fire.
9. Turn off your electric blanket – unless you are absolutely sure it can be left on safely, for example if it has a thermostat.
View some safety videos below: