Cleveland Fire Brigade will be offering businesses fire safety advice as part of the National Fire Chiefs Council (NFCC) UK Business Safety Week 2017. The week runs from 11th – 17th September and aims to make sure businesses and their staff have the information they need to prevent, protect and respond to fire incidents in the workplace.
Compliance with the law means you are protecting your business, premises and employees. It also means you are likely to be prepared if the worst does happen and a fire occurs at your business. If you are a business owner or responsible for a business premises the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order means legally you must reduce the risk of fire and make sure people can safely escape in the event of a fire. Non compliance can lead to enforcement which poses a financial, legal and reputational risk to your business.
You’re responsible for fire safety in business or other non-domestic premises if you’re:
- An employer
- The owner
- The landlord
- An occupier
- Anyone else with control of the premises, for example a facilities manager, building manager, managing agent or risk assessor
You’re known as the ‘responsible person’. If there’s more than one responsible person, you have to work together to meet your responsibilities.
The Fire Safety Order also applies if you have paying guests, for example if you run a bed and breakfast, guesthouse or let a self-catering property.
- Carry out a Fire Risk Assessment and review it
- Create an emergency plan – so you know what to do if a fire does occur in your premises or a nearby premises
- Maintain and regularly test any fire protection equipment
- Induct and train all employees when they start work and refresh periodically
Where to get help and advice:
Business owners are welcome to get free safety advice and information at the following locations during Business Safety Week:
- Monday 11 September – Skippers Lane Industrial Estate, Redcar
- 10am – 12pm Junction of Sotherby Road and Queens Way
- 12pm – 4pm Junction of Sotherby Road and Wallis Road
- Tuesday 12 September – Teesside Industrial Estate, Stockton
- 10am – 4pm Saddler Forster Way
- Thursday 14 September – Park View Industrial Estate, Hartlepool
- 10am – 12pm Park View West
- 2pm – 4pm Usworth Road
- Friday 15 September – Riverside Park Industrial Estate, Middlesbrough
- 10am – 4pm Startforth Road