In 2014, almost 50% of accidental home fires started in the kitchen across Cleveland – this makes your kitchen the most dangerous room in your home.
The main cause of kitchen fires are leaving cooking unattended, chip pans and grill pans.
So to help keep you and your family safe, follow our top kitchen safety tips:
- Stand by your pan – never leave cooking unattended – not even for a second
- Clean your grill as fire can kill – always clean your grill after use. Grime, burnt food and fat cause fires.
- Chuck out your chip pan – it could save your life
- Don’t drink and fry – fires start when you fall asleep whilst cooking food
- Maintain Electrical Kitchen appliances – a few simple checks can make all the difference to the safety of your home
- Don’t hang material near heaters or cookers – it can easily catch fire
Click on the different images of household items to view our safety advice and tips.