Our communities across Cleveland which include the districts of Hartlepool, Redcar & Cleveland, Stockton and Middlesbrough are very diverse.
We, along with our partners are promoting equality and diversity within our organisations and across the areas we serve.
We view our approach as a journey and we use our communities and legislation to guide us which ensures equality and diversity is at the core of everything we do. We also have an infrastructure in place to ensure we have a Brigade wide approach so everyone contributes to our value of respect.
All public sector organisations have the Equality Act and the Public Sector Equality Duty to meet. We need to be aware of the Nine Protected Characteristics which are: Age, Disability, Gender Reassignment, Race, Religion or Belief, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Marriage & Civil Partnership, Pregnancy & Maternity. We need to meet the General Duty by having due regard to:
- The need to eliminate discrimination, harassment, victimisation and any other conduct prohibited by the Act
- The need to advance equality of opportunity between persons who share a relevant protected characteristic and persons who do not share it
- The need to foster good relations between persons who share a relevant protected characteristic and persons who do not share it
We also have specific duties to meet which include the need to publish information to demonstrate our compliance with the Equality Act 2010 and to develop and publish equality objectives. We have a range of information we collate and produce which demonstrate this and our commitment to equality and diversity which can be found on our intranet. To show our commitment to equality and diversity view the pages listed below:
- About us – this tells you about our prevention, protection and response activities
- Our priorities and how we are doing – this includes our strategic plans, annual service plans, objectives, district performance leaflets and our performance and efficiency reports
- Our policies and procedures – a list of our current policies including our Equality and Diversity Policy
- The services we offer – a look at all the services we provide for our local communities
- Equality Impact Analysis outcome’s (EIAs) – coming soon
If you would like to discuss any aspects of Equality and Diversity please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 01429 872311.