It is a potential fire hazard and could see your festivities ending up in smoke.
Phil Lancaster, Director of Community Protection at Cleveland Fire Brigade, said: “It is probably very tempting to get your new electrical gifts plugged in and fully charged as soon as possible. Just remember to keep to one plug per socket and not to leave them charging overnight.
“It is sobering to note that one-third of all accidental house fires are caused by faulty or misused electrical equipment. Just be sensible, enjoy the latest technology, but take care. We don’t want your festive celebrations to end up in flames.”
More electrical safety tips:
- Unplug appliances when not in use.
- Check for worn or frayed wires.
- Clean and maintain tumble dyers and washing machines. Built-up fluff can catch fire.
- Check all appliances have a British or European safety mark.
- Keep heaters away from curtains and furniture. Never use them to dry clothes.
- Unplug electric blanket before going to bed – unless it has a thermostat for safe all-night use.