CLEVELAND Fire Brigade has recognised the achievements of staff at a special event held recently.
The Brigade held its annual Celebration of Success awards ceremony to acknowledge long service, outstanding attendance and the great work staff undertake across the Cleveland area to help keep communities safe.
Long Service Medals were given to staff members who had served with the Brigade for twenty years and recipients received their medals in front of family members to help celebrate this fantastic achievement. Outstanding Attendance certificates were also given to Brigade staff who had not taken a day off ill in five, ten or fifteen years.
Staff awards covered areas including customer service, community engagement and partnership working. Colleagues across the Brigade and members of the public put forward nominations for these awards.
Ian Hayton, Chief Fire Officer of Cleveland Fire Brigade, said: “I know our staff deliver great work every day throughout the Brigade area and celebrating their achievements is essential for us, so not only do we acknowledge where people have gone that extra mile, but we can also motivate and learn from each other so we can move forward and improve our services.”
Councillor Brian Briggs, Deputy Chair of Cleveland Fire Authority, said: “It was an honour to take part in the event handing out well deserved recognition. It is important to take time and celebrate the fantastic work our employees carry out across our communities.”
Employee of the Year award was won by Les Jones, the Brigade’s Head of Community Safety, who has worked for Cleveland Fire Brigade since 1984 for all the prevention and protection work he has undertaken including driving Home Fire Safety Visits and educational programmes for young people.
He said: “I am immensely proud to win the Employee Award of the Year award. I don’t think any firefighter or Brigade officer enters the profession to win awards, but I must say I feel very humbled to be nominated by my colleagues and to win the award.
“I feel privileged to work for Cleveland Fire Brigade and to work in what is a very important area supporting our local communities. Awards like this are a bonus and it is very much a team effort.”
The full Roll of Honour is as follows:
- Customer Service Award-
- Highly Commended: Amanda Casson, ICT Services Officer
- Winner: Andrew Bright, Learn & Live Co-ordinator
- Community Engagement Award –
- Winner: Mark Poulsen, Crew Manager, Grangetown Fire Station
- Innovation & Creativity Award –
- Winner: Chris Reeve, Learning & Development Advisor
- Volunteer of the Year Award –
- Winner: Peter Gugan, Volunteer, Cleveland Fire Support Network
- Team Award –
- Winner: Fire Control
- Working with Partners Award –
- Winner: Barbara Lyle, Stay Safe and Warm Coordinator
- Community Protection Directorate Award –
- Winner: Ian Legg, Fire Fighter, Redcar Community Fire Station
- Corporate Services Directorate Award –
- Winner: Corporate Services Managers Team
- Technical Services Directorate Award –
- Winner: Brigade Workshops Fleet Team
- Employee of the Year –
- Highly Commended: Mike Dayson, Firefighter, Redcar Community Fire Station
- Highly Commended: Margaret Yull, Community Safety Advocate, Hartlepool Fire Station
- Winner: Les Jones, Head of Community Safety
Nominations received for the Brigade’s Celebration of Success will now be put forward for national customer service awards through the WOW! Awards. In 2012 the Brigade won three national WOW! Awards for the categories ‘Best Organisation in the Community’ and ‘Best Newcomer’, and Kelly Reed, Youth Engagement Co-ordinator, also won the ‘WOW! You changed my life’ Award.
Anyone can nominate a member of staff at any time, just visit our website at www.clevelandfire.gov.uk/nominate and complete the form. Alternatively, please send a short letter to Cleveland Fire Brigade, Communications & Engagement Team, Stockton Road, Hartlepool, TS25 5TB.
Remember you can join us on Facebook (/clevelandfb) or Twitter (@clevelandfb) to keep up to date with this as well as news and safety information.
The WOW! Awards work with various companies and organisations in the UK and worldwide, helping them to recognise exceptional work of their staff. You can also find out more about WOW! Awards by visiting http://www.thewowawards.com/